Changing your Name After Marriage

Thinking of changing your name after you are married? Making this decision can be difficult. To change your name or not to change your name that is the question. Also, if you do decide to change your name, are you going to use your maiden name as your middle name dropping your middle name? Or, are you going to use your maiden name and new last name with a hyphen between them? Or, are by you going to drop the maiden last name? Decisions, decisions… Whatever you decide to do you will need to know where you need to change your name and how to go about doing it. You’re married!! Congratulations!! You have decided to change your last name to your new married last name taking your husband or wife’s last name. Yes, men have changed their last name also. It is rare but it does happen. Finally, after patiently waiting what seemed like forever, you receive your marriage license in the mail from the county clerk’s office. It has been recorded. You now have your official document showing that you are legally married. Yeah!!! Now what? Where all do you need to change your name now that you know what you want your name to be! You know you need to change it at work. Of course, you probably changed it on your Facebook page moments after the wedding. But, where else?

  • Social Security Card: This is very important. If you don’t change it here, your earnings may not be recorded properly along with the amount you pay in taxes and benefits. To change your name, according to How do I change the name on my Social Security Card, you will need your marriage license, complete the Application for a Social Security Card, and take both documents to your local Social Security office. Here is the Change your Name Application. It is a pdf file. You will need Adobe Reader to view it.
  • Driver License: You must take your Marriage License to your local driver license office within 30 days of your marriage to change your name on your driver’s license. It must be your original Marriage License, not a copy. For more information, visit:
  • Each employer is different on the paperwork needed to change your name ate work. Check with your HR Department.
  • After you receive your new driver’s license, you will be able to change your name at your bank.
  • Don’t forget to let your Postal person/office know that you have a name change.
  • Remember to notify your credit card companies, Landlord or mortgage company, insurance companies (auto, home, and life etc.), physicians’ offices, any professional licensing boards, investment accounts, your attorney, utilities, passport office, voter registration boards, alumni association.
  • Also, remember those magazine subscriptions or other subscriptions.

After getting through all the important updates, it will be a matter of changing your name as you come across miscellaneous accounts and subscriptions.

Best Wishes!!

~ Rev. Donna